background

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Bon Appetit

Starting solids -- This is one of those things I think both Donny and I were really eager to get started on.  So we got the go-ahead back when Kenzie was 4 months to start solids.  But through a lot of my research and knowledge as a dietitian, I knew I really wanted to push it closer to 6 months.  And lets be honest...Kenzie was not hurting for more food, was sleeping through the night since she was 3 weeks old, and it was just one more thing to worry about.
Since Kenzie was wee-little I've been dying to whip out my babycook and get the freezer stocked up.  I'm glad I didn't...because now that I'm making her food, I just can't stop.  It's rather relaxing and I love coming up with all these different concoctions for her.  I also love that I can taste test the final product and not wonder what else is in there.  So this little lady will be eating well the next few months.  So far in the freezer we have, Organic Apples, Pears, Apple-Pear, Organic Mango, Organic Peaches, Peaches-Banana, Mango-Blueberries, Organic Peas, Sweet Potatoes, Sweet Potato-Apple, Organic Carrot, Carrot-Peas.  Tonight is Organic Blueberries, and Prunes! 
Now I say, she'll be eating well...but that is, if she liked eating.  I know there is a learning curve, but I gotta say she's not the little ham I hoped for.  She sits in her Bumbo, she eats her bib, she looks around, she plays with the drips of food, she looks up at the light, she rubs her hands through her hair, she grabs for the spoon, she hangs over the bumbo, she grabs for things on table....And yes this is all cute, but I hoped for a little more interest.  When we do get some food in her, she is usually gagging - seriously. 
So what has she been snacking on?  Well we started with the usual rice cereal..although I was excited to find a brown rice cereal for her.  She did well at first, but has since started to slow down and seems bored and bothered.  She then had avocado, which she seriously hated, but after the 4 days of that, she was tolerating it.  She also had peas in there, because we got discouraged with the 'cado, again...gagged.  I think my problem with the avocado and peas was I couldn't get them pureed to the super smooth store bought consistency.  So even the tiniest of piece made her reject it. Tonight was day 2 of sweet potatoes.  She seems to just pocket and pool the food until it becomes so spitty and soupy it just dribbles out.  I hope Kenzie's learning curve is not too steep!
Stay tuned for the development of Kenzie's palate...she's so fancy!

Rice Cereal


 Avocado

 Sweet Peas

Sweet Potatoes




1 comment:

  1. I have to agree that making baby foods is very addicting! :) Kellen started out a little slow at first too, most of what went in his mouth ended up being sputtered back out on his bib. He has turned over a new leaf recently, and suddenly loves everything about eating...especially anything featuring blueberries, cherries, squash, or carrots. He's even decided that peaches aren't so bad afterall. I'm sure Kenzie will love food soon too, how could she not with such fancy choices? :)

    ReplyDelete