background

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Camden Brooks Burch's Birth Story: Part 1

So because I want to remember everything (and since I totally didn't stick with the weekly updates, like I did with Kenzie)..lets start back a few Dr.'s appointments.... 

So I was sitting pretty at about 2cm dilated, 50% effaced for a few appointments, including my 39 week appt (39 weeks 4 days).  I talked to my Dr. about what the plan was, since I was feeling like things were very similar to my progress (or lack there of) with Kenzie.  Since my due date was June 15th, she said the farthest they'd let me go was Monday the 24th, before they would need to do an induction.  Okay, great plan!  I really didn't want to be induced, and was hopeful this babe would come on its own.  Well then 2 days later I get a call from the Dr's office, wanting to schedule my induction for June 20th.  I froze.  I wanted to cry.  Luckily I was able to postpone anything until I could talk to someone at my appointment on the 19th.  Also within this time, those stinkin platelets dropped so low, I had to be put on prednisone to hopefully boost them up before delivery.  I secretly hoped they'd be low, just so an epidural wasn't even an option, since that was my birth plan this time around  (ahhh hindsight).  
So now overdue by 4 days, I had my weekly Dr appointment with my favorite NP, Lisa.  She was the provider I saw the day before I went into labor with Kenz.  I hoped it was a sign, and that she would have the magic touch to get things moving.  She explained to me that one of the Dr's was recommending the induction for the next day, because of my difficult delivery with Kenz.  I stood my ground, and she advocated for me, and we got the induction pushed back all the way until the 28th. Whoo hoo!  So she did my exam and I had progressed to 3cm.  I also asked if she could strip my membranes to get things moving.  We rounded out the appointment with a non-stress test and sonogram.  I was hoping we would have a weight estimate, but they were just checking amniotic fluid levels.  Finally, the Dr. that read my NST said "I bet you'll go into labor in 48hrs"...Yes!! I like the way you think!!  




Okay so here we are Wednesday night and I've got nothing happening.  No contractions, no excitement.  I did a lot of googling, which reported women going into labor within hours of having their membranes stripped.  I was getting frustrated.  I remember saying to Don, I wish that Dr. never even said that, because now my hopes are up.  
So now its Thursday, and Kenz and I are enjoying some lunch on the deck when I feel a "splash."  And I'm like uhh did I just pee my pants.  So I stand up and have fluid running down my leg, in which Kenzie proudly asks, "Mommy, you peeing?"  So I call Don and then call the Dr.  The nurse I spoke with said the Dr. knew even before the nurse told her my name, who was calling, since she was confident I would be in labor within 48hrs.  They suggested I monitor it over the next few hours, and give them a call back at 3.  Over that time, there was no more fluid, so they suggested to stay home and to let them know if it happened again.  So we did some shopping that night, feasted on some Pizza Hut, and finished the night watching the NBA Championship game in bed.  Ok I wasn't really watching the game, I was actually texting with some friends, venting about my frustrations about my lack of ANYTHING! Just as the award ceremony was starting, I felt that same leaking sensation again.  But this time it was a lot!  There was no doubt, holy cow, my water just broke!  
So it's about 11:15pm and I call the on call doctor, Dr. Rush.  She said to head on into the hospital.  So we call up Megan to have her drive up, and I hop in the shower.  Don was like, What? You need to wash and curl your hair?  I said Don, we are having our baby, there will surely be pictures taken!  So I finished getting ready, packed some last minute things, and did some cleaning while we waited for Meg to arrive. 
Then we had to do, what I dreaded most.  It still brings tears to my eyes, thinking about Don and I going into her room, waking her up, and holding her one last time as an only child.  She of course was out of it, so that actually made leaving her a bit easier.  Meg snapped this last pregnant picture, crying eyes and all. (Holy cow was I huge)
 Stay tuned for Part 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment